ACF has joined a number of other sector bodies, including the National Council for Voluntary Organisations, in writing to government concerning recent reports that ministers had discussed restricting the influencing ability of organisations in receipt of government grants. While recognising Ministers’ desire to strengthen accountability in grant making, the letter cautions against losing the positive effect that engagement can have in informing policy making.
4 February 2016 Read the full article
Joseph Rowntree Foundation (JRF) and ACF have recently commissioned a counsel’s opinion on legal issues associated with supporting migrants with no recourse to public funds. The legal opinion, obtained from Bates Wells Braithwaite llp, Adrian Berry of Garden Court Chambers and Devonshires solicitors, clarifies that criminal law does not prevent assistance being given to undocumented people to alleviate destitution or meet basic human needs. It also specifies that individuals with no recourse to public funds who lack housing and employment and/or are destitute can be supported by charitable foundations.
2 February 2016 Read the full article
ACF would like to extend congratulations to all who were recognised for their hard work, dedication and achievements in the New Year’s Honours. From our membership we would like to congratulate:
- Sir Jack Petchey CBE, founder of the Jack Petchey Foundation, awarded a CBE for services to Young People in East London and Essex.
- Sir Harvey McGrath, Chair of Big Society Capital, who was awarded a knighthood for services to economic growth and public life.
- Paul Farmer CBE, Chief executive of Mind and Trustee of the Lloyds Bank Foundation for England and Wales, who was recognised for his services to mental health.
- Sally Peck OBE, Trustee & former Chair of The Harpur Trust, who received her award for services to the community through Education and Sport in Bedford and the Eastern Region.
- Peter Williams OBE, former Chair of Trust for London, for his services to Poverty Reduction.
7 January 2016 Read the full article