Strategic Communications Manager, UK
About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help Europe foster the development of a low-carbon society and play an even stronger international leadership role to mitigate climate change. The foundation works through several sectoral, cross-cutting and regional initiatives and collaborates with a wide network of partners to advance progress towards this shared goal.
The ECF team is a highly dynamic group of individuals, combining ambition and passion with a rigorous, results-oriented and analytic approach to the work. The ECF’s culture is one of intensity, enthusiasm and mutual support.
About the role
The ECF’s UK Programme is currently accepting applications for an experienced and highly driven individual to perform the role of Strategic Communications Manager, UK.
Working closely with the programme’sportfolio of grantees and strategic partners, the successful candidate will navigate the complex political environment to help advance momentum around the low-carbon transition in the UK.
Collaborating with UK programme staff to ensure effective development and delivery of grant-making projects, the Strategic Communications Manager will also build narratives that open entrenched positions and develop structures and approaches that can react quickly to emerging opportunities.
This is an exciting opportunity for a brilliant and thoughtful strategist with a sincere interest in climate and energy issues and the ambition to make a difference, to play an active role in speeding up the low carbon transition in the UK and helping avoid the worst impacts of global climate change.
The Strategic Communications Manager, UK will be responsible for:
- Developing a climate communications strategy for the UK covering key institutions and sectors;
- Collaborating with the ECF’s portfolio of grantees and strategic partners to deliver the materials, stories, voices and messaging to support this strategy;
- Identifying and planning communications campaigns and activities that advance narratives and ensure climate ambition is maintained during complex Brexit negotiations;
- Collaborating with ECF programmestaff to ensure strategic communications is incorporated into all UK grant-making;
- Acting as a source of expertise on political communications to the UK climate community and ensuring ECF priority projects are effectively communicated to target audiences in the UK;
- Working hand-in hand with an international network of communications experts who seek to advance the momentum of the low carbon transition(and with the network’s UK lead in particular);
- Maintaining trusted relationships with key correspondents and editors across mainstream and specialist media in the UK and working proactively with media contacts to shape the reporting around ECF priority issues;
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting (including some financial and administrative tasks).
Experience and competencies
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation;
- 6+ years of professional communications experience, including some experience in political campaigning, Westminster experience a plus;
- A brilliant strategist with strong understanding of the processes and dynamics of British and international policy-making;
- A proven ability to independently develop and implement robust communications plans;
- Experience of developing and deploying communications initiatives tailored for specific voices, channels and audiences;
- Strong diplomatic and networking skills that enable effective collaboration with a diverse group of partners;
- Strong vision, confidence and a proven ability to bring others along on collective strategies;
- Gravitas sufficient to work directly with high profile individuals and partners from diverse backgrounds at all levels;
- Proven skills to produce engaging and impactful communications materials for the UK media market;
- Existing relationships with UK journalists or demonstrating the ability to build these swiftly;
- Effective monitoring and reporting skills as well as some project management and team management experience;
- Excellent command of the English language (both spoken and written), other languages and intercultural experience a plus;
- High level of independence and can-do mentality, strong time and priority management, and an ability to make sound decisions in highly pressured environments;
- A team player and a natural collaborator with high levels of self-motivation and a passion for excellence, used to working flexibly at fast pace in remote settings across time-zones;
- Willingness and ability to travel and work unusual hours from time to time, due to challenges of being part of a global network;
- The disposition to work with colleagues in a high-trust community of peers, and a commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach and a spirit of generosity and mutual support.
What we can offer you
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with ambition and a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time position with a 24-months fixed term contract (with possibility to extend).
As soon as possible
Please send your CV and a short cover letter to Apply-StratCommsManagerUK@Europeanclimate.org
Please, indicate ‘Strategic Communications Manager, UK’ in the subject line. Telephone calls will not be forwarded to the recruitment team. Due to the high number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.