Senior Membership Manager (maternity cover)
About the role
With the support of the Director of External Affairs, and working closely with the Finance Manager, you will lead on providing ACF’s services to members including recruiting, engaging and retaining members and delivering individual support and signposting to members.
You will also support the new Director of Membership when they are appointed.
This is an exciting role which sits at the heart of ACF. The existing post holder has made a real difference to the way in which the organisation supports its members and there is great scope for you to build on this work to increase our membership and improve our services to members.
Purpose of the post
Lead on recruiting, engaging and retaining members and delivering individual support to members, as well as developing the membership base to ensure ACF thrives and is sustainable. Responsible for providing ACF’s benefits & services to members, and ensuring the organisation builds effective and lasting relationships with its members. Capture member insight and intelligence to help inform ACF’s programmes of work.
Key tasks and areas of responsibility
Promote a member-focused culture throughout ACF ensuring the organisation builds effective and lasting relationships with its members and that the membership offering remains relevant and good value
- Support and enable all ACF staff to have a strong understanding of the membership journey and benefits and services package
- Keep ACF staff informed about new members, resignations and membership statistics
- Ensure members are well informed of the range of services ACF offers which match their current or future needs, through targeted communications and activities
- Respond promptly to membership enquiries ensuring there is an internal system in place to manage these queries effectively
- Research/Develop potential new membership benefits/services in collaboration with relevant ACF staff
- Respond promptly to queries from members and non-members on a range of issues related to activities of trusts and foundations, signposting members to other sources and/or Funder Networks when appropriate
- Respond promptly to queries from individuals and organisations who are thinking of setting up a charitable foundation
- In order to do the above, develop an understanding of the legal and regulatory framework affecting members, keeping up-to-date with any developments
- Manage the Office & Events Administrator’s response to straight-forward queries about the above topics, non-member queries and membership enquiries using a range of standard responses and managing quality control
Membership recruitment, retention and engagement
Take lead responsibility in maintaining and developing ACF’s membership base
Implement ACF’s membership eligibility criteria for new members.
Take responsibility for each stage of the membership life-cycle, including:
- ACF’s membership promotional, marketing and recruitment material, including website pages and membership enquiry information
- Managing enquiries from prospective members and follow-up within an agreed timetable
- Membership joining process and orientation of new members – including new member welcome pack and communications
- Monitoring engagement and involvement of members with ACF activities and services and provide reports on this to ACF staff team
- Membership fee renewals and follow up, working in collaboration with the Finance & Database Manager
- Follow up member resignations with exit interviews
- Providing regular reports to the board on membership numbers and growth, financial targets and narrative as to why members join and why members leave
Keep ACF’s membership categories under review and ensure that they support ACF’s achievement of its strategic objectives, recommending changes where appropriate.
ACF’s membership strategy
Continued development of ACF’s membership strategy, positioning and offer.
Plan and implement recruitment campaigns for new members, utilising warm contact leads, tailoring the approach to take into account the diversity of the trust and foundation sector.
Build a member prospect list and plan and implement a targeted campaign to bring these prospects into membership, using an organisation-wide approach and involving ACF’s board and staff team where appropriate.
Develop a marketing strategy for potential members, using a variety of approaches.
Plan engagement activities to ensure membership retention.
Lead on building relationships with regional funder networks and issue focused networks across the UK.
Research and develop opportunities to work with external bodies offering bespoke membership agreements.
Keep abreast of potential competitors and what other membership bodies are offering.
Membership data and intelligence
Develop ACF’s evidence base about member foundations and the wider sector
Act as ‘lead internal customer’ for membership data, working in collaboration with the Finance Manager in effective use of ThankQ, MailChimp and the website.
Provide intelligence on issues faced by members to rest of staff team, acting as a source of information for others on issues affecting members.
Capture member insight and intelligence and identify opportunities for brokerage, collaboration and developing ACF member services.
Lead on surveys of ACF members to gather data about them as individual organisations.
- Ensure that the principles of equality and valuing diversity underpin the execution of the responsibilities and tasks described above.
- Have regard to environmental good practice in all areas of the work.
- Undertake any other duties in support of ACF’s work as may be reasonably required.
For full details and to apply, please download the candiate application pack. Completed applications should be sent to email@example.com.
Interviews will be held on 5 October 2018 at ACF’s offices.
If you require any further information or you would like to discuss anything in more detail, please contact Keiran on 020 7255 4497 (firstname.lastname@example.org)