Senior Funding Operations Officer
We are looking for a Senior Funding Operations Officer to join our Finance, Operations and Systems team. The Finance, Operations and Systems team is a vital part of the Charity’s ability to make an impact and improve health in Lambeth and Southwark, and uses cutting edge software, including Salesforce and Tableau, for its operational systems and business intelligence. This is a new role which will assist with the management of the Charity’s grants, contracts and donated special funds. The role also works within the Finance, Operations and Systems team to ensure accurate reporting and compliance with our procedures, and informs the wider organisation with high quality reporting on grants and special funds.
This is an excellent opportunity to join an experienced and growing team at an exciting time as we implement increasingly sophisticated systems for grants management and reporting, and continually develop innovative ways of working with colleagues, both internally and externally, to manage an ever-growing portfolio of grants. We are looking for a confident, approachable and ambitious individual who works well in a team, with a solid background in grants and contract administration and excellent knowledge of grants management and monitoring processes. The ideal candidate will be able to apply their experience and skills to help manage an increasing number and variety of grants and contracts.
The role will work across the Charity’s work through both our Impact on Urban Health and Trust Engagement teams, who work on our exciting Programmes and with Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust to improve the health of people living in Lambeth and Southwark.
The Senior Funding Operations Officer is a key role in the Finance and Operations team, that provides operational and financial support across the organisation.
The role is responsible for:
- Grant and contract management activities, ensuring all grants and contracts are progressed appropriately and systems are kept up to date
- Liaising with teams, both inside the organisation and externally, to ensure the smooth running of grant processes
- Managing complex operational administrative issues
- Assuming joint responsibility with the rest of the Finance and Operations team for: maintaining the accuracy and integrity of the grants management system; preventing fraud; providing cover for absent colleagues when required; and performing any other tasks as may reasonably be required for the team to operate effectively.
Reporting to: Funding Operations Manager
Grants management (Programmatic, Trust Engagement and Special Fund grants):
- Managing the process of ensuring ongoing grant requirements (such as reports and milestones) are met, including producing monthly reports of outstanding requirements, supporting Funding Operations Officers with requesting conditions/reports and following up on these requests when not received, and liaising with internal grant managers regarding persistent issues
- Managing the post-award workflow for grants, including production of grant documentation and working with grant managers to establish payment and reporting schedules and updating grant management systems
- Carrying out due diligence checks on grant applicants
- Producing and actioning reports to ensure that grant records are accurate and properly reflect the stage each grant has reached, in particular, ensuring grants are closed appropriately and any outstanding funds are written back to enable further grant funding
- Updating the Charity’s Communications Team about the progress of documentation for grants and contracts, to support effective communication outside the organisation
- Provide assistance to the Funding Operations Officers with queries regarding post-award processes
- Ensuring clear audit trail of approval of awards and conditions to ensure efficient execution of grant agreements and payment of grant instalments
- Working with the Funding Operations Manager to draft and execute contracts with service suppliers, including carrying out due diligence checks on new contractors
- Maintaining appropriate records in relation to service contracts, including adding and updating contract records on internal systems.
Special fund management
- Managing communications with fund holders, including writing and distributing newsletters, and drafting key messages
- Producing monthly fund statements and distributing to fund holders
- Providing assistance to Funding Operations Officers with complex queries and management of spending commitments and related invoices
- Managing queries from Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust Finance staff and fundholders in relation to invoice payments
- Authorisation of Special Fund expense claims
- Providing cover for the Funding Operations Manager, as appropriate
- Deputising for the Funding Operations Manager at Executive Investment Committee meetings to contribute the Funding Operations perspective on discussions about grant applications, due diligences and awards
- Assist with the development of Salesforce, new or improved processes, and new ways of working through user testing and development of guidance
- Ensure grants and contract records are accurately maintained
- Provide absence cover for other Finance and Operations team members as agreed from time-to-time.
- Liaising with Guy’s & St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust finance staff to ensure all grant payments for the Trust are made in an accurate and timely way and provide regular updates and reports regarding payments due and invoices received.
- The job holder will be working in a developing environment and will therefore be expected to undertake other appropriate duties as required for the effective operation of the Charity.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Familiarity with Grant making and grant management processes (Essential)
- Familiarity with financial concepts around invoicing and grant payments (Essential)
- Able to communicate effectively with others, both verbally and in writing, especially when explaining process (Essential)
- Computer literacy (Essential)
- Familiarity with Salesforce or other grant management systems (Desirable)
- Some familiarity with health/social care/voluntary sector technical language and organisations. (Desirable)
- Understanding of contract and supplier management (Desirable)
- Experience of grants administration (Essential)
- Regular use of database/CRM systems, finance systems and grants management systems. (Essential)
- Experience using the Microsoft Office suite (Essential)
- Experience working within the charity sector (Desirable)
- Experience in drafting and reviewing supplier contracts (Desirable)
Skills and Attributes
- Self-starter who is adaptable, works with integrity, and exhibits the Charity’s enterprising, collaborative and delivery-minded cultural and behavioural values
- Willing to learn and develop new skills, and help to develop the knowledge and skills of peers
- Committed to the principle of continuous improvement, with careful attention to detail and due process
- Committed to delivering consistent and high-quality customer service to both internal and external stakeholders
- Good interpersonal skills and able to effectively liaise with both internal and external communities
- Confident in communicating well, both in writing and verbally, and exhibits listening and influencing skills.
- Problem solving skills, able to use initiative and actively seeks pragmatic solutions
- Good planning and organisational skills, able to work to multiple prioritised tasks, targets and deadlines, with careful attention to detail.
- Team player, with an ability to support effective working relationships.
- A self-sufficient individual, who enjoys the challenge of working with multiple stakeholders and complex systems.
Please visit our website for the full job pack and application link: https://www.gsttcharity.org.uk/content/senior-funding-operations-officer
*Please note: applications will close at 9am on Monday 29 March*