Can you maintain our underlying financial data and produce high-quality reporting and analysis? We're looking for a highly-numerate, ambitious Senior Accountant with an ability to see the bigger picture beyond the numbers.
We’re looking for an exceptional qualified accountant to join our highly motivated and dynamic finance team.
At Guy’s and St Thomas’ Charity, we’re passionate about creating impact. To do that, we need to be able to produce the highest quality financial information and analysis. We’re not just talking about posting accruals and producing historical reports, we’re also talking about creating an environment that provides highly visual, realtime, forward looking and interactive information to support effective business decision making. To achieve this, we’re currently undergoing a period of exciting development in which we’re working with the latest software to implement cutting edge financial and operational systems.
This is a fantastic opportunity to take a key role in accounting and reporting across our extraordinarily wide range of activities, including our £850m investment portfolio, property developments, grant funding and other charitable investments. You’ll be able to use your professional knowledge to tackle plenty of interesting technical challenges and you’ll enjoy the chance to work closely with acknowledged experts in our various business units as well as external specialists. We don’t expect you to have experience of every aspect of our work, but if you’re enterprising and delivery minded, our collaborative culture will support you in acquiring all the skills that you need.
Reporting to: Finance Manager
This role is key both to the maintenance of our underlying financial data and to the production of our high-quality reporting and analysis. To achieve this, the job holder will:
• Ensure that the nominal ledger is complete, accurate, reconciled and up-to-date for all internal and external reporting and statutory deadlines.
• Prepare financial information, variance analysis and KPIs to support business monitoring and decision-making.
• Support one-off projects including reporting visualisations, financial modelling, and process automation.
• Accounting and nominal ledger control – Preparing monthly financial accounts to trial balance, including taking full ownership of and working with the team on month end tasks, preparing detailed ledger variance analysis and ensuring timely balance sheet maintenance and controls.
• Management information reporting – Producing draft management information across the various business functions.
• Treasury management and reporting – Assisting with monitoring and managing cash balances of c.£30m, including producing biweekly cashflow forecasts.
• Statutory accounting and reporting – Preparing annual statutory accounts and assisting with internal and external audits.
• Tax and other – Preparing quarterly VAT returns and reconciliations; compiling the draft annual gift aid claim including validating donors’ details and amount reconciliations; supporting the Finance Manager and the team with other forecasting and budgeting activities.
Enterprising – looks at things from different angles and is open to new ideas and perspectives.
Collaborative – contributes to collective effort and gives time and attention to people and ideas.
Delivery-minded – is accountable for results and willing to get stuck in and work at pace.
Knowledge and qualifications
• CCAB or equivalent accounting qualification
• Good knowledge of financial and/or management accounting (essential)
• Producing comprehensive management accounts from beginning to end (essential)
• Any of the following (desirable): property accounting; investment accounting; charity accounting; management information reporting; treasury management; statutory reporting.
Skills, abilities and attributes
• Highly numerate with advanced Excel skills (which will be tested).
• Strong business sense, with an ability to see the bigger picture beyond the numbers.
• Self-starter, able to work under own initiative and organise own time to meet deadlines.
• Change adaptor, willing to change and/or grow with the organisation.
• Flexible, able to work with and contribute to a small team.
• Great communicator, with excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Relationship builder, able to create and maintain good working relationships with internal stakeholders and external partners.
To find the full job pack and application form, please visit our website: https://www.gsttcharity.org.uk/who-we-are/our-team/vacancies