Governance Manager (12-month fixed term contract, part time 0.5 FTE)
Director of Programme and Policy
About Art Fund
Art Fund is the national fundraising charity for art. We are an independent charity committed to a vibrant museums sector. We believe art can make you see, think and feel differently.
Through our grant-making programmes and partnerships we invest around £8milllion every year to help museums and galleries acquire works of art for their collections, share them with wide audiences, and support the training and development of museum professionals. We are supported by our growing membership of 159,000 through the National Art Pass, as well as the generosity of many trusts, foundations and other individuals. Through our work we make art more accessible to as many museum visitors as possible, wherever they are.
Purpose of Role
Founded in 1903, Art Fund is a registered charity governed by a Royal Charter that was granted in 1928. Today, we are governed by a Board of 16 Trustees. As well as its legal responsibilities to ensure Art Fund is run in accordance with its charitable objects, the Board also considers applications from museums and galleries for grants towards works of art and other activities. Day to day management of Art Fund is delegated to the Director and Senior Management Team. The Board meets five times a year to discuss matters of governance, policy and grant applications, with a further annual session looking in depth at organisational strategy. There are in addition several committees with delegated powers to scrutinise financial matters, trustee recruitment, staff remuneration and ethical matters, and a number of grant-making panels that include both trustees and co-opted members.
In 2019 Art Fund appointed external consultants to undertake a Board Review. The Review produced a number of recommendations to improve how the Board and committees function, as well as some recommendations for updating the Royal Charter and Bye-Laws.
Art Fund wishes to recruit a part-time Governance Manager to manage Board and committee meetings, influencing and preparing agendas, producing high quality minutes, and providing governance support and guidance to the Chair of Trustees, Trustees, sub-committee and panel chairs, and the Director and senior staff. The role will also support the appointment of new Trustees, developing recruitment packs and managing the recruitment process to support Art Fund’s commitment to increasing diversity at all levels of the organisation, and overseeing the onboarding process.
Working with Art Fund’s legal advisor and other senior staff, the role will ensure Art Fund upholds good governance practices and provides all support necessary to Trustees to enable them to discharge their legal responsibilities. This includes taking a lead on reviewing all the recommendations from the Board review, and then working with Trustees and staff across Art Fund as necessary to implement changes to working and governance practices as agreed.
Following a Board review, and with a new Director in post, Art Fund is at a key moment in its history. This role would suit a dedicated charity professional with experience of governance and working with Boards of Trustees, ideally gained in at least two other settings, who is looking to make a real difference to governance policy and practice within an organisation.
We care about equal opportunities and welcome applications from a broad diversity of talent from all sections of the community.
Board and committee business
- Take responsibility for the annual meeting timetable for all Board and committee meetings. Ensure meeting agendas are well-planned and that senior staff are providing papers and information in a timely manner. Undertake agenda production and distribution of papers to an agreed timetable in advance of meetings. Liaise with the Director, Legal Advisor, Chair and committee chairs to provide support and advice on managing the meetings and any specific governance responsibilities or actions that must be taken.
- Attend meetings of the Board, Nominations Committee, Remuneration Committee, Ethics Committee and any further committees required to ensure good governance of Art Fund, provide high quality minutes as a record of these meetings and ensure any actions agreed are followed up in a timely manner, and reported back to the Board/committee.
- Support the delivery of the Annual General Meeting, ensuring it is delivered in accordance with our statutory obligations, and provide high quality minutes as a record of the meeting; liaise with the Communications team and all other staff involved with delivering the meeting as necessary and in your role as first point of contact for Trustees.
- Liaise with the Head of Finance, who provides secretarial support to the Finance and General Purposes Committee, to ensure that all governance requirements are met, and that there is a consistent style applied to minutes of meetings across all committees.
- Implement a timetable to ensure Trustees regularly review all statutory and governance policies. Ensure all such policies are up to date and reflect best practice; liaise with the Director, senior staff and Legal Advisor to draft necessary changes to policies.
- Advise colleagues across the organisation on Board matters and governance procedures.
- Act as Board Secretary, signing resolutions and other official documents in this capacity where required
Trustee recruitment and support
- Be first point of contact for Trustees and support them to fulfil their governance and grant-making roles as required. Develop a close relationship with the Programmes team and across Art Fund to ensure joined up communications with individual Trustees and the Board as a whole.
- Ensure an up to date skills audit and that it is a useful reference document for the Nominations Committee in planning for future recruitment. Ensure that the list of potential future Trustees is updated likewise.
- Manage the recruitment of new Trustees, developing and updating recruitment packs, managing applications and supporting the Chair and Nominations Committee to shortlist and interview applicants. Ensure that the recruitment and appointment process meets Art Fund’s goals relating to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Organise the onboarding of new Trustees, providing or arranging for all the necessary support or training to enable them to contribute fully to the Board.
- Assist with correspondence on behalf of the Chair as required.
- Maintain up to date Trustee records.
- Manage the administration of Art Fund’s electronic board papers platform and support trustees to use the system
- Take a lead on reviewing the recommendations made by the consultants, liaising with Art Fund’s Legal Advisor, Director and senior staff as required. Support Art Fund to commission any further legal advice as required.
- Implement recommendations as agreed between staff and Trustees, keep the project plan updated, and ensure timely reporting of progress at Board meetings.
- Produce any new guidance or committee terms of reference required.
Art Fund Archive
- Work with the Programmes team and other senior staff as required to commission a consultant to review Art Fund’s archiving policy and processes in order to support good governance and transparent record keeping. Oversee the work of the consultant and present their recommendations back to the Director and Senior Management Team.
- Provide support to the Programmes team and across the organisation to implement new record keeping and archiving processes as required.
- To actively participate in the wider life of Art Fund
- To undertake other duties as requested by Art Fund from time to time
- Reports to the Director of Programmes and Policy and is a member of the Programmes team.
- Close working relationship with the Chair and Board of Trustees.
- Close working relationship with the Director, Senior Management Team and Legal Advisor.
Please see attached Job Description and Person Specification for more details.
Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also complete the candidate monitoring form which can be found on the jobs page of the Art Fund website.