Finance Transformation Manager
The British & Foreign School Society (BFSS) was formed in 1808 by Christian social reformers to carry on the work of Joseph Lancaster, a pioneer of school and teacher education. BFSS is now non-religious, and is an educational charity that makes grants for projects to widen access to educational opportunities and raise achievement in the UK and all over the world, with priority being given to applications from organisations and institutions operating in areas of deprivation or educational disadvantage.
The Society’s income comes mainly from its investment portfolio, which stands at over £25 million. The Society draws income and, as necessary, capital from its investment portfolio to support its grant-giving; it does not at present engage in fund-raising. Grants of over £1m were awarded in 2018. For an indication of the range of grants given, please see the Projects and Publications pages on the Society’s website at www.bfss.org.uk.
The Society's President is the Rt Hon David Lammy MP. It is governed by a Council drawn from Members of the Society and the Director acts as secretary to the Council. There are currently 12 Council Members (who are Trustees of the Fund) and the Chair is Peter Miller. More details about the Society and our work can be found in our annual report at https://www.bfss.org.uk/about-us/.
The Society has a permanent staff of four, all of whom are part-time. They comprise of the Director, the Grants Manager, Finance Manager and Grants Administrator.
The role will support the Director to select and implement a finance package, draft the financial statements for 2019 and liaise with the auditors to ensure the year end timetable is achieved, review and streamline all finance processes enabling the Society to maintain its financial health as well as meet the requirements of statute, charity commission guidance and best accounting practice.
· Research and advise on the preferred financial package to implement by the end of October 2019. We are currently considering Xero versus Sage One and plan to draw data direct from the bank and our Salesforce Grant Management System.
· To ensure the existing data, currently held on a spreadsheet, from 1 January 2019 is imported into the new system and the chart of accounts rationalised as appropriate.
· To work with the Director and Treasurer to review current financial controls ensuring that proper policies and procedures exist to safeguard the Society’s assets, annual budgets are prepared and authorised, all payments are properly authorised, grants are paid in accordance with trustee approval and a register maintained of all grants paid and outstanding.
· To prepare year end management accounts and other information required by the auditor for the year ending 31 December 2019.
· To undertake a full tender exercise to support Trustees to select a new auditor.
· To work with the Finance Manager on the ongoing regular finance work as and when required.
This role requires a qualified accountant who is capable of managing the implementation of new systems and day to day operational accounting activities. Experience of finance work within grant giving charities is essential and some knowledge of investment fund management will be preferred. Sufficient experience and communication skills to provide a sounding board for the Director and Trustees is also required.
The contract is offered on a self-employed basis equivalent to one day per week for 6 months from September 2019 to February 2020, maximum of 26 days in total. A work plan will be agreed with the Director, but it is anticipated some flexibility regarding how many hours are worked in particular weeks according to the workload will be required. Ability to easily travel to the BFSS office in London is essential, although the role does not have to be office based.
To be considered for this contract please send your CV, a supporting statement of how you or your organisation have the relevant skills and experience to undertake the work, including your day rate, to Joanne Knight our Director at firstname.lastname@example.org by 27 August.
To discuss the work in further detail please contact Joanne Knight using the above email or calling 020 7922 7814. Due to annual leave this would need to be before 9 August 2019.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to the BFSS office to meet the Treasurer and Director on 12 September 2019.