Purpose of the role
The purpose of this role is to provide administrative support to the finance team, and to work closely with the senior finance administrator to ensure that Local Trust’s routine financial administration tasks are managed efficiently and effectively.
Job description (key duties)
1. Provide financial administration for Local Trust including:
• assisting the finance team with the delivery of key finance tasks during the year, including preparing for the annual audits of Local Trust and Big Local Trust, and the annual budget setting process
• assisting with maintaining Local Trust’s and Big Local Trust’s accounts (using Exchequer accounting software)
• maintaining record-keeping in accordance with best practice, including scanning, saving, filing and archiving of invoices and supporting information
• checking expense claims, in particular taking responsibility for reconciling Trainline and Premier Inn accounts
• maintaining Local Trust’s contract files and contract register.
2. Support the senior finance administrator to:
• check and process incoming invoices, adding new suppliers and entering direct debits into Exchequer
• ensure that all relevant entries have been processed in time to meet weekly and monthly processing deadlines
• keep financial records up-to-date and ensure processes have been documented
• reconcile bank accounts, credit card statements and petty cash on a monthly basis, investigating and resolving discrepancies as required.
3. Support the programme team by:
• processing, scanning and filing invoices and expenses claims from Big Local reps
• responding to queries about rep payments
• producing reports on rep-related expenditure.
4. Support the finance team by helping to gather information and data, analyse it and provide spreadsheets and reports as necessary (training will be given where needed).
5. Act as a point of contact for financial queries, including being the main contact for rep-related queries.
6. Support the head of finance with the administration of the department by:
• co-ordinating meetings, taking minutes and action points when appropriate
• keeping work planning tools up-to-date
• maintaining finance guidance on Local Trust’s wiki, used by the staff team.
7. In partnership with the Local Trust administrators, when required undertake various administrative tasks needed in a small office, including:
• welcoming visitors and dealing with telephone and email enquiries so that a positive image of Local Trust is portrayed at all times
• assisting with the administration and co-ordination of events such as meetings, conferences, seminars and exhibitions
• producing a range of materials including letters and reports
• providing support for the administration of other areas of work.
8. Develop effective working relationships with those we fund and support. This might involve visiting Big Local areas, and therefore require occasional travel away from the office.
9. Provide cover for the senior finance administrator as and when necessary, for example during leave and sickness periods. The two post holders will be expected to coordinate their annual leave to provide continuous cover.
10. Attend relevant training courses and maintain awareness of external affairs relevant to Local Trust.
On the attached recruitment pack, you will find details of the role and the selection process to assist you in completing and tailoring your application. To apply, you should submit:
- An up-to-date CV which shows your full career history and highlighting experience relevant to this role.
- A supporting statement with your name on the top of each page, explaining why you are interested in this role, detailing why you are the ideal candidate for this post and how you meet the criteria set out in the person specification.
- Each section of the person specification should be addressed under clear headings. Please give practical examples wherever possible. We recommend that this is no longer than three A4 pages.
The deadline for applications is 12 noon on Wednesday 28 August. Please send your application to email@example.com with ‘Finance administrator’ in the subject line.
Interviews for this role will take place on Tuesday 10 September. Further details will be provided to shortlisted candidates closer to the time.
Due to limited resources we are unable to reply to all applicants. If you do not hear from us, it means you have not been shortlisted.
Further information about Local Trust and what we do is available on our website at localtrust.org.uk.