Environmental Grants Manager
Arcadia, a charitable fund of Lisbet Rausing and Peter Baldwin, supports endangered nature and culture, and promotes open access. Arcadia has had a longstanding commitment to supporting the attainment of lasting biodiversity-conservation outcomes, the development and enforcement of environmental laws, and the training of conservation professionals. Since 2002, we have awarded more than $184 million to environmental causes worldwide. From 2018, the amount we can give each year for environmental programmes is increasing to $50 million.
About this role
As we expand our grant-making, we have decided to recruit a new Grants Manager with a PhD in environmental sciences, ecology, conservation biology or a related topic. This is a senior role, which will involve independent research and negotiations on a national and an international level. We are looking for someone with a keen interest in the fields of biodiversity conservation and habitat restoration, who wants to harness the power of philanthropy to make a real impact.
The successful candidate will play an important role in the development, management and evaluation of our international portfolio of grants, and the provision of advice on, and identification of opportunities for, projects concerning practical biodiversity conservation and habitat restoration. You can find more information about Arcadia on our website www.arcadiafund.org.uk.
· To research and develop funding opportunities.
· To support the evaluation of existing grants.
· To manage a significant grants portfolio and monitor ongoing grant performance.
· To maintain and develop Arcadia’s network of partnerships.
· PhD in environmental (terrestrial or marine) sciences, ecology, conservation biology or related topic.
Skills and experience:
· Demonstrable interest in conservation, preferably with experience of evaluation.
· Strong networking skills – able to build and maintain contacts in the philanthropic and academic sectors.
· Strong analytical skills, including analytical report writing.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Numerate, able to handle, analyse and interpret quantitative information.
· Able to work as part of a small team.
- Commitment to making a difference in the field, including an open-minded approach to unconventional ideas.
- Critical intelligence and attention to detail.
- Ability to work to deadlines and under pressure.
Employment benefits include 25 days annual leave, employer pension contributions of 12.5% of salary, life assurance and healthcare schemes.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage or civil partnerships.
Please send your CV, a cover letter of no more than two sides of A4 paper including your current salary, and the names and contact details of three referees to email@example.com by 14 December 2018. Applicants must have the right to work in the UK. We will not contact referees prior to interview. Interviews will be held in London in January 2019.