Engagement Manager - Investment
We are looking to use our position as an investor to help create change in the real world. We are looking for someone who is passionate about our health mission and about delivering on being a truly responsible investor. We need to shape our thinking on how to engage with others in the investment and corporate worlds to deliver a healthy world alongside outstanding financial returns.
The Charity’s £900m Endowment underpins financially our charitable programmes and our support for the hospital Trust. It also gives opportunities to create health impact in its own right. We are committed to managing the Endowment responsibly, taking account of the multiple stakeholders involved in the commercial world that we invest in that generates the financial returns that power our charitable activities.
40% of the Endowment is invested directly in Property. We are adopting a responsible approach to our management of these assets focusing on delivering financial returns, sustainability, health gains and positive impact on our communities.
60% of the assets are invested in a multi-asset class global portfolio of funds. In 2019, we created a 5% allocation to health impact investing to deliver both health impact in the UK and risk-adjusted returns. We recently published our theory of change for our growing impact portfolio which is now over 50% committed.
We are now looking to add engagement activities to the responsible management of our Endowment. Our belief is that engagement is vital to ensuring that investment and corporate behaviours continue to improve so that stakeholders are more fully taken into account. In particular, we will be seeking ways to engage with others in the investment chain to:
- Address climate change
- Deepen the adoption of Environmental, Social and Governance approaches
- Improve diversity
- Address health issues related to our charitable programmes
We are actively researching the Charity’s climate impacts and will be developing a strategy and targets to address this. We will be aiming to encompass all of our major activities including our financial and investment portfolios, our own operations and our charitable activities. This will inform the engagement strategy that we are developing in parallel.
It will be important that we collaborate with other investors and related networks to have an effect with both fund managers and through them the companies that they invest in.
We aim to be at the cutting edge of how foundations operate across all of our activities, both charitable and investment-related. This role will have an important input into shaping that future for the Charity.
The Engagement Manager is a new post that will:
- Strengthen the management of our Endowment
- Play a key role in shaping the delivery of our Responsible Investment agenda through defining and delivering engagement activities
- Bring insight and innovative thinking to how we manage our investments to deliver our financial and responsible investment goals
- Network widely and, when regulations allow, travel internationally to ensure our engagement activities are cutting edge and effective
- Assist the Executive Director of Finance and Investment in embracing the Charity’s governance structures regarding engagement activities
- Assist the Executive Director of Finance and Investment in the design of engagement activities for the Endowment
- Identifying goals for our engagement activities and methods of achieving them
- Setting out decision-making mechanisms
- Identifying investors and related networks to collaborate with:
- Assessing them for potential for impact
- Understanding how we can best contribute to effective engagement
- Actively engaging on chosen issues to test and learn
- Assess how we deepen our relationship with our adviser, Partners Capital
- How to drive/measure success of ESG/diversity agenda
- How to engage our existing managers
- Obtaining approval of the Investment Committee and, as appropriate, the Board for the approach
- Together with the Executive Director of Finance and Investment, implement the agreed approach including advocating for our chosen issues and representing the Charity at events, on platforms and in meetings
- Actively collaborate with other investors and related networks on chosen issues
- Preparation of papers for the quarterly Investment Committee. Attendance at the Committee and input into discussions
- Building an active network to ensure we have access to the latest investment and endowment engagement thinking
- Create and lead communications channels to publicise our approach, targets and progress against those
- Develop close working relationships across the Charity, including with the communications, property and programme teams
- Act as an Ambassador for the Charity and for new ideas in endowment management
- Experience of investment
- Experience in engagement activities
Skills, abilities and attributes
- Intellectually agile – ability to interrogate ideas and formulate plans to achieve multiple goals
- Clear strategic thinker – able to make clear choices in an environment where there is a complex range of objectives and risks
- Considered judgement – open to external thinking, willingness to balance arguments and deliver high conviction recommendations
- Innovative thinker – not afraid to propose new ways of approaching issues
- Tenacious influencer – persuasive in situations without direct levers to pull with the willingness to continue in tough times
- Effective stakeholder management skills – with the ability to work collaboratively with a range of both internal and external stakeholders
- Good interpersonal and presentational skills – with the ability to communicate convincingly to a wide range of audiences
Please visit our website for the full job pack and details on how to apply:
Please note that applications will close at 9am on Monday 17 August
We will also accept part-time applications or alternative working patterns for this role.