Director of External Affairs
ACF is the membership body for UK foundations and grant-making charities. Our mission is to support foundations to be ambitious and effective in the way that they use their resources for social good. Collectively our 380 members hold assets of around £50bn and give over £2.5bn annually to a wide range of charitable causes. ACF provides a range of services to our members, including policy, advocacy, publications, events, learning and professional development.
This is an exciting time to join ACF, and as such we are looking for an experienced and ambitious Director of External Affairs to continue to develop the scale and scope of our external affairs work.
The Director of External Affairs is responsible for managing ACF's relationships and reputation. The Director will ensure that we are positioned at the leading edge of thinking about foundations and their work, act as a senior representative of ACF, inform policymaking, and develop our branding, positioning and media management so that it supports the mission, reflecting the quality and ambition of the work that we do. As a member of the Executive Leadership Team the Director will oversee a high performing team that lead on the work to shape the operating context for charitable foundations in order that they can be ambitious and effective in their pursuit of social good.
Experience and attributes to include:
- Strong experience within a communications and/or public affairs role with significant experience of developing, executing and evaluating successful policy and communications strategies that influenced change
- Strong media exposure with the experience to manage and advise on areas relating to reputational risk
- Exceptional leadership and management skills, with the ability to work well in a team
- Understanding of the policy context within which the charity sector operates and track record of influencing change within a policy environment
- Commercial and financial acumen, able to set and manage budgets and create and capitalise on new opportunities to generate income from a range of sources
- Track record of demonstrating judgement, diplomacy and tact, and negotiating skills in managing multiple stakeholder relationships and a persuasive and diplomatic networker at a variety of levels
- Empathy and commitment for ACF's aims and core values, including environmental sustainability
To read more about this exciting opportunity, and to find out how to apply, please see the full Job Pack.
To apply via Prospectus, please upload your CV in Word format and include a supporting statement as part of your application, addressing your experience in relation to the key points on the person specification, which should be no longer than 2 sides of A4.
A Prospectus consultant will review and assess all submitted applications. As part of the selection process candidates may be invited to meet with a consultant at the Prospectus offices.