Digital Communications Officer
Purpose of role
To manage digital engagement for Islington Giving (85%) and Cripplegate Foundation (15%) – raising our profile with identified audiences in order to harness more income and support, engage in a pro-active conversation with stakeholders and contribute to positive supporter care. The post-holder will also support offline fundraising and communications activity.
The nature of this post could shift to suit the skillset of the right candidate – whether your key strengths are in writing compelling online copy, working on digital fundraising campaigns or in analytics, we’d love to have a conversation with you about how you can contribute to changing lives in Islington for the better.
Reports to: Islington Giving Director of Development and Communications
Main duties and responsibilities
Digital communications and fundraising
• To develop a digital engagement plan for Islington Giving
• To content manage the Islington Giving and Cripplegate Foundation websites
• To oversee digital fundraising including researching online giving mechanisms, SMS opportunities, fundraising platforms and potential Crowdfunding initiatives
• With the Communications Manager, ensure that news is shared via digital channels
• Establish measures and analytics for the success of digital activity
• To produce online communications with supporters, including e-zines
• To proactively manage our social media presence, seeking new opportunities for growth and engagement through established channels (eg. Linkedin) and testing new channels (eg. Nextdoor)
• To provide advice and support for colleagues in the use of social media
• To oversee SEO and the use of third-party content
• To work collaboratively on initiating digital engagement and fundraising campaigns
• To work with colleagues to ensure online and offline communications are aligned.
Content development and writing
• To support the Communications Manager in gathering stories and developing narrative
• To write content as appropriate for all digital channels and occasionally print
• To support the production and commissioning of film and video content
• To ensure all copy is approved by the relevant team member.
• To work with the Communications Manager to ensure that Islington Giving and Cripplegate brand guidelines are followed
• With the Communications Manager, to develop an effective and comprehensive archive of images, publications and video on behalf of IG and CF
• To keep a record of all media/PR references to IG and CF
• To second-eye content developed by colleagues
• Ensuring a good supporter experience through digital media by prompt response to supporter queries and requests
• To work with the IG Development and Communications Director and Communications Manager on digital supporter journeys
• To ensure supporter records are updated following digital interactions
• Ensure compliance with Fundraising Regulator best practice online, as well as data protection regulation in all digital communications (PECR and GDPR).
• Be an active member of the team, spotting opportunities to collaborate and celebrate success
• To keep a record of progress against tasks, and to be self-scheduling and self-administrating in order to ensure workplan is completed.
• Keeping up to date on trends in digital fundraising and marketing
• Ensure appropriate Intellectual property permissions are given before using external content
• Managing external digital partnerships where appropriate
• To undertake any other duties that may reasonably be requested.
38% of Islington’s children live in poverty, and we have one of the highest rates of depression in London. You will thrive in this post if you want to make a positive change for people who live here, by telling their stories, raising funds and communicating why others should get involved.
You will be a well-organised individual who enjoys the opportunity of finding solutions to communications and fundraising challenges in the digital space. You will be confident in advising others on the best ways to deploy time and energy in raising the brand profile and increasing income for the essential work Islington Giving supports.
You will be comfortable working with competing deadlines and priorities, managing your own workload and the expectations of others.
Experience and abilities
• Experience of using digital marketing to achieve organisational aims
• Excellent written and spoken English, with an ability to write compelling content for a range of audiences
• Working knowledge of a range of digital marketing techniques such as email, search engine optimisation and social media advertising
• Ability to manage projects
• Experience of producing digital content for a commercial organization or charity
• Excellent IT skills with demonstrable experience of working with Microsoft Office applications
• A knowledge of (and love of!) the borough of Islington
• Knowledge of social media strategies for fundraising and marketing
• Experience of fundraising and charity communications more broadly
• Experience of Google Analytics
• Experience of using content management systems
• Experience of using CRM databases.
Personal qualities and approach
• An excellent team player with a collaborative approach to the overall fundraising and communications portfolio
• Self-motivated and able to work independently with good time management skills.
• A confident communicator
• Commitment to the values and mission of Cripplegate Foundation and Islington Giving – making a better life for everyone within the borough.
Islington Giving is a restricted fund of Cripplegate Foundation: registered charity (no. 207499)