Are you on the lookout for a role with real impact? Are you motivated by using communications as a tool for positive change in the world? Would you relish the opportunity to develop and deliver against an innovative Communications Strategy? Can you intuitively convert programme results into varied accessible stories for diverse audiences?
We’re a small but ambitious Trust, seeking to change the life chances of children in India, Mexico, and South Africa, by improving the quality of state-run education. Over the last 5 years we have donated nearly £10 million to over 20 organisations in pursuit of this goal. We value openness and transparency with those we fund and collaborate proactively to reach our goals.
As The Maitri Trust matures the need to better communicate our impact and learning is increasingly apparent. The Communications Manager will help us develop and deliver against a Communications Strategy for the Trust. You’ll have a significant degree of creative freedom in developing this strategy. Success in the role will see our funder (individuals at Stewart Investors) better informed about our work, and our learning better shared within the global international education community.
Hours: 0.5 FTE with flexibility in working patterns
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
We are looking for an experienced communications professional with varied communications experience but a particular gift for written communications:
- You will take responsibility for devising and delivering against an innovative Communications Strategy for the Trust.
- You will develop this in a consultative, collaborative manner - working closely with colleagues, our funder, and our partners.
- We have an open mind as to the form this strategy will take. Your advice and expertise will be key in shaping it. However, it will likely draw heavily on written communication approaches.
- You’ll get to know individuals in the organisations we support and meet their beneficiaries so you can capture their work, impact and stories. This could be via case studies, film, or other creative means.
- Your work will likely involve one overseas trip per year (once international travel is allowed).
- You’ll take responsibility for updating and maintaining our website.
- Maitri has a limited presence on social media. You’ll guide us on if / how we might develop an approach and lead on this aspect of our Communications Strategy.
- Above all, the role is about increasing our profile with our funder, ensuring they understand our work and impact, and gradually raising our profile within our international education community – in a way that fits with our core values of respect, learning, collaboration and partnership.
Your experience / profile:
- Significant experience in devising and delivering innovative Communication Strategies.
- Exceptional writing skills and significant experience of producing varied written communication outputs.
- Experience of using and advising on use of social media as a communications platform.
- Demonstrable collaborative approach with the ability to work with a broad range of stakeholders and to engage across a complex landscape.
- Strong track record of creative thinking and problem solving.
- Must be able to work in the UK, e.g. hold the necessary work permits or have the right of abode, evidence of which must be supplied.
- Passion and belief in our work and approach; drive and ambition for the Trust.
- Supportive team player who enjoys working closely with a small team and thrives in a collaborative work environment but who is also self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Able to put common goals first, following through with commitments, contributing to the success of others and communicating openly and honestly.
- Positive approach to tasks and responsibilities, willingness to get things done no matter whether they fall within your area of expertise or not.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a multi-cultural environment with diverse populations from around the world. A strong commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and professionalism.
- Empathy with others.
About the Trust:
The Maitri Trust is an independent, privately-funded grant-making foundation. Our mantra is ‘a good quality education for all’. Access to education in low and middle income countries is not the problem it once was, but quality remains a huge issue, with large numbers of children leaving school without even the most basic of skills; a situation exacerbated by the current Covid-19 global pandemic. Maitri works to improve the quality of state education in India, Mexico, and South Africa by funding locally-run organisations who train and develop teachers, headteachers and education department staff. The aim is to enable children to achieve their potential, becoming skilled and thoughtful members of society, ready to lead productive and fulfilling lives.
We support our partners with both financial and non-financial assistance. We award multiyear grants and build long-term relationships based on mutual trust. We strive to listen and understand our partners, their beneficiaries and their work. Our aim is to help partners identify where they can improve and then to fund those improvements.
Send a covering letter, CV and a short paper or article you have written (max. 2 pages) to: Luke Aspinall – email@example.com
We welcome applications from all sectors of society and support flexible working