Asylum, refugee & migration network
- Aderonke Apata, founder of Manchester Migrant Solidarity and African Rainbow Family, and an Edge Fund member
- Ivan Juric, Advisor at Guerrilla Foundation
- Brenda Coughli, Bertha Foundation (TBC)
This one-day event will take place in Manchester and will be an opportunity to explore the role of philanthropy in supporting activism. The day will be structured in two parts. There will be a meeting in the morning (11.30-1.30) where three speakers will help us understand the potential of activism in achieving social change and the role philanthropy can play in supporting this. We will explore questions including:
- How do we define activism (as oppose to campaigning or organising)?
- What role does activism play in shifting social norms?
- Is supporting activism a more effective means to achieve social change than Foundations’ usual investments?
- What are the boundaries and tactics that funders are comfortable with?
- Do we have the right networks in place to identify grass-root activism and the funding mechanisms in place to support activists?
In the afternoon, we will have the opportunity to visit two organisations that are engaged in activism in the migration space - Women Asylum Seekers Together and African Rainbow Family (OR Manchester Migrant Solidarity).
11.30 – 11.40 Welcome and introductions
11.40-12.00 Opportunities and challenges of funding activism: the experience of Bertha Foundation (Brenda Coughlin - TBC)
12.00-12.20 A personal perspective of an activist working in the migration space in Manchester (Aderonke Apata)
12.20-12.40 Recognising activism as force for social change: learning points and case studies from the Guerrilla Foundation (Ivan Juric)
13.00-13.30 Networking lunch
13.30-14.00 Transfer from the Federation to the first project visit
14.00-15.00 Visit to WAST
14.50-15.30 Transfer to second project visit
15.30- 16.30 Visit to African Rainbow Family OR Manchester Migrant Solidarity.
email@example.com| 0207 255 4499
Cost to members: £35
Cost to non-members: £40