Become a Member
Membership of ACF is open to any UK organisation:
- which is an endowed foundation or
- makes grants for charitable purposes.
ACF interprets the term grant-making to include investing for charitable purposes:
Examples of this might include, but not be limited to, the following activities undertaken for charitable purposes:
- Grants of money, or donations of assets or professional support;
- Investing via loans, equity-like capital and other social investment instruments;
- Investing directly or via partners to develop programmes of research, policy work or practical interventions.
If you are a charitable trust or foundation based outside the UK, please go to our information for international members.
- FULL membership is open to UK charities which have grant-making as a principal function and which make grants from income of which at least 30% is derived from assured sources. FULL members have access to the complete range of ACF services and benefits. FULL members also elect ACF's Trustee Board and vote at formal meetings.
- ASSOCIATE membership is only open to grant-making organisations which don’t meet the conditions of FULL membership because grant-making is not a principal function, their income is not assured, or they are based outside the UK. Associate members have access to the complete range of ACF services and benefits.
- AFFILIATE membership is a discretionary category for organisations which administer or act as a trustee for several grant-making trusts or foundation.
Please Note: UK charities which are both fundraising and grant-making are welcome to join ACF, but may not use their membership or ACF meetings in order to seek grants or raise funds.
Membership Subsciption Rates:
Members pay an annual subscription on a sliding scale which is based on their grant expenditure in the previous financial year.
View our Membership Subscription Rates.
How to Join:
To join ACF please download our application form and return it to us with a cheque for your subscription and a copy of your trust’s most recent Annual Report and Accounts, together with a grants list (if it is published separately).
If you are unsure about which membership category applies to you or if you would like more information about ACF membership, please contact Katherine Duerden, Membership Development Manager: email: email@example.com or telephone: 020 7255 4499.
Assured Sources of Income
- Interest and dividends on investments
- Rent from land or property
- Spending of capital
- Regular long-term donations, committed for at least 3 years
- Well established periodic public appeals
Non-assured Sources of Income
- One-off or irregular donations from individuals and companies
- One-off public appeals
- Payroll giving, except where established over a long period
- Grants from Government or other grant-making trusts and foundations.
Download a copy of ACF's Membership Application Form: